20 Oct Benefits of Business Coaching, with Alisa Cohn
Named the Top Startup Coach in the World at the Thinkers50/Marshall Goldsmith Global Coaches Awards in London, Alisa Cohn has been coaching startup founders to grow into world-class CEOs for nearly 20 years. She is the author of From Start-Up to Grown-Up, published by Kogan Page. A one-time startup CFO, strategy consultant, and current angel investor and advisor, she was named the number one “Global Guru” of startups in 2021, and has worked with startup companies such as Venmo, Etsy, DraftKings, The Wirecutter, Mack Weldon, and Tory Burch. She has also coached CEOs and C-Suite executives at enterprise clients such as Dell, Hitachi, Sony, IBM, Google, Microsoft, Bloomberg, The New York Times, and Calvin Klein.
Marshall Goldsmith selected Alisa as one of his Marshall Goldsmith 100 Coaches – a gathering of the top coaches in the world – Inc named Alisa one of the top 100 leadership speakers, and she was also named one of the top voices of thought leadership by PeopleHum for 2021.
Alisa is a guest lecturer at Harvard and Cornell Universities, Henley Business School and the Naval War College. She is the executive coach for Runway – the incubator at Cornell NYC Tech that helps post-docs commercialize their technology and build companies. She serves on the board of the Cornell Advisory Council. She has coached public and political figures including the former Supreme Court Chief Justice of Sri Lanka and the first female minister in the transitional government of Afghanistan.
Her articles have appeared in HBR, Forbes, and Inc and she has been featured as an expert on Bloomberg TV, the BBC World News and in the New York Times. A recovering CPA, she is also a Broadway investor in productions which have won two Tony Awards and is prone to burst into song at the slightest provocation.
She is also an amateur rap artist.
What you will learn in this episode:
- How Alisa's career started in business school and the corporate world before she realized she wanted a different career path
- Why it is important to seek out many different coaches over the course of your career, and what benefits of business coaching you can expect to receive
- Why Alisa wrote her book “From Start-Up to Grown-Up”, and why it was written to help solopreneurs
- Alisa shares a strategy for defining what your future will look like and getting clarity on how to create that future, and why learning to scale yourself is crucial
- Why fear of failure shouldn't hold you back from trying, and why even if you don't succeed you can benefit from the attempt
- What changes Alisa anticipates due to the global pandemic, virtual work, and the Great Resignation that business owners and entrepreneurs need to keep in mind
- Why Alisa starts each day with journaling or meditation and working out before she tackles big projects
- Why it's important to focus on doing what we can do in the ways we're able to do them rather than allowing ourselves to stall and wait until things ‘go back to normal'
- How Alisa has seen the benefits of business coaching firsthand by the way her own coaches have transformed her life
- Website: www.alisacohn.com
- Difficult conversation scripts from Alisa: www.alisacohn.com/scripts/
- From Start-Up to Grown-Up by Alisa Cohn: https://amzn.to/3p1RhQT
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/alisacohn/
- Twitter: @AlisaCohn
- Follow Chris and Zach on Club House to learn even more about deal structures and how to get 3 paydays from your real estate investments.
- If looking to secure some lines of credit for your business, check out Fund and Grow – Visit our Resource page at https://smartrealestatecoach.com/resources
- Schedule a FREE Strategy Call: SmartRealEstateCoach.com/action
- Register for our free masterclass: www.SmartRealEstateCoach.com/mastersclass
- Real Estate on Your Terms by Chris Prefontaine
Smart Real Estate Coach Podcast Sponsor: